I didn’t realise until I started writing this down quite what a tick list of so-called ‘superfoods‘ this dish is. I normally ignore most of the marketing buzz that goes on around the latest trendy food, but I happen to think this tastes (and looks) really good.
Normally I would prepare it by roasting all the veg, but today I just wanted to grab a quick lunch before I ran back to the gym, so I cheated and used precooked beetroot from a packet and steamed the sweet potatoes before whacking them under the grill with a tiny bit of oil. Grilling the sweet potatoes really helped bring out their flavour, and I even managed not to set off the smoke alarm! I ate it hot as I was pretty cold outside, but made a bulk load of it – it works really well cold as a salad as well.
Roughly equal quantities of the following (except the seeds!)
- Quinoa (grain from Latin America that is relatively high in protein)
- Sweet potatoes
- Watercress or mixed salad leaves
- Can of chickpeas
- Pumpkin seeds
Whilst the quinoa was cooking I steamed the sweet potatoes (cut up into bite sized chunks), then I put them under the grill whilst I steamed the broccoli. Once they were done I mixed them all up with the rest of the ingredients and the drained quinoa to warm through and then served on a bed of watercress and leaves.
If I was serving it as a salad I’d probably drizzle it with a bit of chilli oil.
Why I like it:
- There’s a great mix of colours in here, which as well as looking good is usually a good clue that you’ve got a good mix of vitamins and minerals, and this is no exception, the veg, along with the the watercress and spinach salad, is pretty much a superfood top ten tick list
- There’s a good mix of protein from the quinoa and chickpeas, essential to help rebuild my body after my morning workout
- The pumpkin seeds give it a nice nutty bite, as well as being a good source of magnesium and anti oxidants
- As well as being a good source of vitamin A, the sweet potatoes have a low glycemic index so keep you feeling full for longer without a big carb crash